Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Poem, A Trade, An Inspiration, A Question

Every day more and more interesting things come in the mail from people around the world. Comments, ideas, insults, and today the most unique trade yet, a bit of inspiration, and an original poem...

I like Red Dice
I do indeed
I want your dice
Though there's no need

If they were blue or green
I'd pass
Or maybe write back
And laugh

But they are red
And hard and square
With inward bumps
I am aware

So this is what I'll do
To get those five red dice from you
I'll walk a mile
With a smile

I'll walk from here to there
I'll do it while I wear
A great big smile
And all the while

I'll dream of five red dice
And how life will be so nice
If everyone would walk a mile
Just to share a great big smile

That is what I'll do for you
That is what I'll do for them
Those five red dice
That you might send

The poem comes from Mary (with her husband in the above picture) of Eldorado Hills, California, and yes, I also was wondering... she wants to trade my sexy dice for a walk? As Paul Harvey says... here's the rest of the story. Mary was diagnosed several years ago with Multiple Sclerosis, so every step she takes is wonderful. She has not suffered the normal progression of MS though, much to her doctor's astonishment, and due greatly to her positive attitude. As she says, she is "walking proof" of the power of a positive outlook!

Now the question is, how to consider this trade? The idea of the project is to continue trading with an upward trend, to trade up. If I were to accept the trade of Five Red Dice for a walk of a Miracle Mile, how to continue. Hmmm. A bit of a puzzle, perhaps even a moral question. To continue in the crass quest to trade up or to pay deserved homage to something awesome. I am looking for ideas here, comments, answers. Help me out folks. Also, I am putting up yet another poll on the subject right off to the right. You know what to do.

By the way, the neat statue in Mary's hand is a 1930's sculpture by Dr. Seuss called 'Kangaroo Bird'. Beautiful, and as Mary surely agrees, when it comes to medicine, you cannot beat Dr. Seuss!

Mary and her husband own an art gallery in Eldorado Hills and you can visit their website at
http://www.ourhousegallery.com/ or click on the 'Cool Link'.

Thanks Mary, and please, everybody spread the story!

And last, here are those feet, in the cool green grass, ready to walk a mile that some say should be impossible.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

DO YOU ACTUALLY HAVE A JOB COMING UP WITH IDEAS?I AM A GREAT IDEA PERSON TOO..I WILL TRADE MY FAVORITE SANDDOLLAR FOR THE 5RED DICE..I AM ALSO AN ARTIST I OWNED A GIFTSHOP FOR 6YEARS/ART GALLERY AND MADE MY OWN STUFF.I DONT KNOW HOW I GOT TO YOUR SITE BUT I THINK MAYBE THOSE ARE LUCKY DICE JUST LIKE MY LUCKY SANDDOLLAR..HAVE A GOOD NIGHT..LISA FROM SACRAMENTO

Anonymous said...

I LOVE HOWIE BEFORE TO.AND THE LITTLE BLUE FUZZY THING...

Anonymous said...

I AM ALSO INTERSTED IN SPIDERS WITH LOTS OF MONEY.

Alan said...

Hmmm, Siders with lots of money? You lost me with that one, lol. Eight legged spiders are my phobia, I hate them, ick, but Ferrari Spyders which take lots of money- another story! Alan

Anonymous said...

that's stupid fyi only

Alan said...

Thank you for your kind words about our project. We are glad that you are enjoying the progress of the trading at Five Red Dice, and have added you to our mailing list. Alan
Please do not respond to this automatically generated e-mail as there will be no response. If you wish to be removed from the mailing list please send an e-mail to FiveRedDice@GMail.com. In the subject line please type +I no longer wish to be the soolest kid in school", also submit a 400 word essay on "The Value of Trading Five Red Dice Online", and also, please donate a minimum of 22 non-perishable items to your local food bank.
Thanks you.

Anonymous said...

Well, I see that you are getting some pretty tempting offers for your five red dice. I know they look attractive and you probably want all of those things. Your choice is going to be tough on Saturday night...I'm glad I'm not you! But I feel the need to draw attention to my cute dog...just look into his eyes one more time.... I know you'll know what to do.... All the best, Kathy

Erin McRaven said...

Hi, Alan. It's Erin....the Little Black Phone lady of Georgia.

I'd have to say that inspirational walk/poem sounds like a winner to me! Maybe it's just due to my own issues with mobility, but that's just about the sweetest thing I've read in a LONG time!

Much luck to you, Alan! You are already far more of a hit than I've managed to be in 2 years!

Anonymous said...

If it was six red dice, then you would have something! But five? I don't think so.

A Boy And His Dog

A Boy And His Dog
No, I will not trade Trixi ! ! !